" For God himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything." Acts 17:25

About Me

About Me

About Me

Welcome...I'm delighted that you chose to visit! I started this blog in March 2010 and I am so happy that I did. It has made me more aware of the many ways that God is blessing my life. I have made some special friends who bless,teach,encourage,and entertain me! My desire is to be an encouragement to you. I hope you will tarry for a while and that you will come back to visit often.

Friday, June 25, 2010

the camping trip that almost wasn't!

The topic for this week’s Friday with Friends (Jennifer at Trading Ashes For Beauty) is the 4th of July. When our kids were small, we did a lot of tent camping. The first 4th of July camping trip we took was when our boys were ages 3 and 5. We decided to go to the mountains in our state which is about a four hour drive. Back then, we drove a Toyota station wagon and we packed it tight. We didn’t know the mountains were such a popular destination for the 4th, so it never occurred to us to make reservations. We took off as soon as J got home from work on the third. We pulled up to the state park where we were planning to camp only to find out it was full. We had no idea where else to go! The ranger mentioned a private campground down the road. We went there just to be told that it was full, too. What in the world were we going to do? It was 10 P.M..... we had two tired little boys who had been looking forward to camping all week and we didn’t have a place to set up our tent. I guess the man saw how pitiful we were and felt sorry for us because he finally said, “Well since you are tent camping, I do have a little half-site available if you want it.” We said, “We’ll take it!” Turned out to be perfect. Just big enough for our tent and car and the picnic table that was already there. Boy, were we grateful! We had a great time on that trip. We hiked, saw fireworks, roasted marshmallows in our campfire, and our youngest son caught his first fish! We went back to that campground many times after that....but always with reservations!! :-)

4 comments :

  1. That's a great story, Debbie! I can remember tent camping as being fun...I think it's something every child should do~at least once! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our phone number was once mistakenly published in Camping World magazine as the number for a local campground. I didn't receive a deluge of calls, but we would periodically answer the phone to someone asking, "Is this Such-and-Such Campground?" Ornery friends suggested that we take reservations: "Sure! I've got you down for two spaces on July 4th weekend!" But instead, I looked up the correct number and provided it (one digit different than our number) to the caller.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great time! Glad you were able to find someone to have some compassion and let you have a space. I have never been camping, well we went once with our girls group in church and I was around 10. Didn't like it at all!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dream sometimes of taking our family on a camping trip. I only went camping once in my life, and when my family did this, it rained buckets all week. Needless to say, they never took us again. Sounds like you all have so much fun together.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is such a blessing and encouragement to me! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.