When we bought our house in 1976, the appliances were coppertone.....of course......and I thought they were WONDERFUL! We have replaced those a couple of times over the years. However, we had never changed the range hood. Funny, it never occurred to me! But about 2 years ago, we replaced the vinyl with wood laminate flooring and purchased new countertops. As I looked around, I realized our appliances were all ivory and black, but we still had a coppertone range hood. Why had I not noticed that before? Anyway, I talked my Hubby into taking it down and painting it black. He thought it was a terrible idea, but he did it and liked it when it was done. One of these days, he's going to learn to trust me! ha!ha!
Now, the real story! There is an exhaust tube from the range hood to the ceiling which, of course goes through the roof. The tube (the part you can see) is covered with a wooden box. The previous owners had covered the box with a brick looking material so it looked like a chimney. I liked it..... it fit with the country look of our house. Well, when we took the range hood down, the "brick stuff" started to come down in pieces. We have been looking for something to replace it with no success. Real brick or ceramic brick would be too heavy and brick vinyl, that, at one time, was so popular, is now non-existent! Recently, I finally found some brick looking vinyl stick on tiles. So, last Friday, we put them up. They look nice. I don't like the look as much as the brick, but it is better than the torn up stuff! :-)
Last night, I was here alone 'cause the hubby was working. Several times, I heard a noise that I could not explain. I thought maybe it was acorns falling or squirrels running on the roof, but it sounded like it was in the house. About 10pm, I heard it again... a little louder this time. I decided I was going to solve this mystery. I walked into the kitchen and looked up. Yep, that was it........ our tiles were falling off one by one! I started to laugh and then I thought..."Yea, I thought that job was too easy." Hubby is going to fix it with a little glue. Kind of funny to think the other stuff lasted 34+ years, our lasted 5 days!!
Here are some pictures so you can see the before and after... and the later after! :-)
Here is the original brick look.....the front still looked pretty good, the sides were torn.
The new look.....
The "chimney" with the range hood....the finished project!
The unfinished project! ha!ha! Soon it will be finished again....maybe tomorrow!
I'm headed to TN tomorrow with our younger son and his family to visit our other son and his girls until Monday. Looking forward to having the 3 grands together ..... that is always lively! I'm also hoping to see some fall colors since we'll be traveling toward the mountains. I should have some pictures to share next week. Hope you all have a wonderfully blessed weekend!
34 minutes ago