" For God himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything." Acts 17:25

About Me

About Me

About Me

Welcome...I'm delighted that you chose to visit! I started this blog in March 2010 and I am so happy that I did. It has made me more aware of the many ways that God is blessing my life. I have made some special friends who bless,teach,encourage,and entertain me! My desire is to be an encouragement to you. I hope you will tarry for a while and that you will come back to visit often.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

a word from our mommy-to-be!

In a conversation with my daughter a while back, she said,"You know, Mom, the really cool bloggers ask people to write guest posts." I had no idea! And you probably don't know this about me, but I have always wanted to be cool. Who knew it could be so easy? :-) When I asked if she was volunteering, she said, "Yes!" So, I would like to introduce my sweet girl and the first of several guest posts as she prepares to be a mommy!


The Making of a Nursery: Volume I

As most of you know, my husband and I are expecting our first little one later this year, and it's a girl! We are so excited! We can't wait to welcome that baby girl to our family. We are already totally in love with her! (Though her daddy did have to scold her a bit last week for positioning

herself directly on my sciatic nerve...ouch!) :)

So, of course, since we found out about our sweet Blueberry, we have started preparing a nursery for her. Our spare room is light brown (we already painted it once, not doing it again) so I decided to go with white nursery furniture. My mom bought the crib, and we bought the matching changing table. We just needed a dresser or chest of drawers.

Well, in our spare room we had a chest of drawers already. See below.


It's a fine looking piece of furniture, I guess. Obviously I didn't mind it for a spare room. But when I thought about it in a baby's room....ugh. I suspect the babe wouldn't mind, but her mama would! So we decided to overhaul it, take something old and ugly, and make it something new and beautiful. A redemption process, if you will!

So the husband went to taking off the parts I didn't like, namely the hardware and the weird ornate decorative rectangles on the top drawers, which turned out to be plastic. Then we sanded away the finish to the wood. Here's the husband hard at work.



I didn't want to leave the top drawers completely plain, so we went to Lowe's (love that place) and bought some decorative moulding to make our own frames that were pretty similar to the bottom drawers. Then we primed it, painted it white, and put on the new hardware (also from Lowe's), and we had the finished product. Here it is!


I am very pleased with how it turned out. It's amazing the difference a coat of paint and some new hardware can make! A few people couldn't believe it was the same piece of furniture. :) I am excited about our next project: a bookcase! Look for the next installment to see how that one turns out!

Random funny: I've had many people tell me I'll have crazy dreams during my pregnancy. Well a couple of nights ago, I dreamed that instead of a baby, I gave birth to five little ants who named themselves Henry, Harriet, Adrian, She'teria, and Okay. The strange thing- I wasn't at all concerned that I had given birth to ants, but that they were too small for me to tell them apart!

11 comments :

  1. What a delightful posting, Miss Guest Poster! Had to smile at your 'ant' dream. Isn't that funny!

    My first time to this blog and I enjoyed my visit. Looks like a lovely place to return to often!

    Wishing you glimpses of heaven in unexpected places......

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys did a great job with the dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great job on that dresser. It really looks fabulous. Congrats and blessings on your growing family. Say hi to your mother for me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I see before and after photos of a dresser, I grimace at how I have allowed my children to grow up with mine and my husband's childhood dressers...and we didn't do a thing to them. Bad parents, or insecure DIYers? I love your makeover.

    And Miss Debbie, I never doubted your coolness. Sometimes it takes someone to nudge us toward extraordinary levels of cool, right? A couple months after I started my blog in 2008, my bro-in-law informed me that Facebook was where it's really at. I still like my blog better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh...and waaay cute baby bump!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too would be concerned. It's very important that you know Henry from She'teria!

    Love the dresser redo. Your hubby is a keeper.

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this interview with your guest blogger:) I am so impressed with the dresser transformation. They could start their own diy show. I am so happy for them and for you. A new baby brings such joy to a family.

    Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to meet you and your dresser is fantastic. Your Mom is a sweet heart and I know she is so excited. Welcome and that was a lovely post.
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super guest post ~ the "new" dresser is awesome!

    Debbie ~ thanks for visiting me today and for your encouraging words! It was a real pleasure to be able to pop over and visit you as well! Love your blog background by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job, guest blogger...on the post and on the dresser. My daughter is going through all the same things over here right now...new dresser and new bedding for a baby girl...coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice treat - for you and for us - to have a guest speaker, um writer! I admire people who can trasform a piece of furniture like that. We have all kinds of pieces at the cabin that I'd like to do that with.
    Funny dream ... you remembered the names of the ants?

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is such a blessing and encouragement to me! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.