" For God himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything." Acts 17:25

About Me

About Me

About Me

Welcome...I'm delighted that you chose to visit! I started this blog in March 2010 and I am so happy that I did. It has made me more aware of the many ways that God is blessing my life. I have made some special friends who bless,teach,encourage,and entertain me! My desire is to be an encouragement to you. I hope you will tarry for a while and that you will come back to visit often.

Monday, April 12, 2010

a lesson from the carp

Yesterday, I wrote about the small fish that J caught in the pond at the park this weekend. In the same pond were some very large carp... about 2 feet long. They were swimming in schools of 8-10. Carp are plant eaters, so they weren't at all interested in the worms or crickets on J's hook. The water was clear so we could watch them as they navigated the pond.....round and round, back and forth.
As I took a break from my book and watched them, some interesting thoughts came to mind. I've always heard "there is safety in numbers". Do you suppose that is why they swim in schools? By God's design, their instinct is to stay close to protect each other? It made me think of God's design for us... to be part of the Body of Christ. He knows we need fellowship and encouragement from fellow believers.That is why He commanded "forsake not the assembling of yourselves together". We are safer, less likely to get in trouble when we are accountable to our brothers and sisters in Christ.
It was interesting that they weren't the least bit tempted by those "goodies" being dangled in front of them. They know what they were made to eat, what they need to live and grow. Oh, that I was like the carp! I know what I need to live and grow in Christ, but sometimes I pursue other things. Things that look pretty or taste good, things that tempt me to forget why I was made. I pray that I would be as single-minded as the carp..... keeping my eyes on Jesus. He is "all I need for life and Godliness!"

3 comments :

  1. How true! If only we each maintained that perspective all day, every day. Thanks for the "mini devotional" in the midst of my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great picture! and so very true!!! Thanks for sharing today! Have a blessed week. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, He is all I need!

    Enjoyed the pictures from your camping trip. Hope all is well with your dad!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is such a blessing and encouragement to me! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.