" For God himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything." Acts 17:25

About Me

About Me

About Me

Welcome...I'm delighted that you chose to visit! I started this blog in March 2010 and I am so happy that I did. It has made me more aware of the many ways that God is blessing my life. I have made some special friends who bless,teach,encourage,and entertain me! My desire is to be an encouragement to you. I hope you will tarry for a while and that you will come back to visit often.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

throw. it. away!

I have had a small table top/bed top ironing board for a long time. I use it all the time for quick presses. It was looking pretty bad...actually very bad. The padding had disintegrated and the cover was discolored, ratty, and had so much starch on it, it was almost as stiff as the wooden board it covered. I talked about replacing it. My daughter told me you can just buy the covers. I priced them...they cost as much as a whole new board. Every time I used it, I thought..."Why don't I throw this one away and get a new one?"

For my birthday, my girl gave me a book and this....

She said , "I know this is a random gift, but I saw it in the store and remembered how pitiful yours is." I laughed out loud...and was tickled by her thoughtfulness!

Why do we do that? Hang on to old, worn out stuff that just needs to be THROWN AWAY? Especially when it can be replaced inexpensively which would make our work easier and more pleasant.

Reminded me of the way I hold on to old habits and attitudes that are not beneficial or healthy. I know they are old and worn out.... they aren't good for me anymore. My life would be easier and more pleasant. Why don't I just throw them away? A friend once told me that it only takes 6 weeks of doing something to make it a habit. (She learned to drink black coffee that way...she was trying to eliminate the extra sugar in her diet.) So, it can be done! The question is...do I have the desire and determination to make the changes?

God says ..." My grace is sufficient for you; for my strength is
made perfect in weakness."
II Cor . 12:9

So, if I ask Him, He will help me make those changes. He will show me what old things need to be thrown away, and what new things should replace them!






5 comments :

  1. You can do it. I decided that wheat was making me sicker and sicker so almost 5 weeks ago I stopped eating everything that contained wheat.
    I feel so much better now, but the hardest part? Making the decision to do it. He gives me the strength day to day.
    Blessings on your new place that the Lord wants to lead you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! I too like to hang on the old...that I am comfortable with. Let me think about this...and see what really needs to be 'replaced' with the new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post is GREAT! I understand about the ironing board. I still have the very first one I purchased before we were married. It's old, metal and VERY heavy. Sometimes when I use it, I leave it out for my hubby to fold back up and put away; that's how heavy it is. But I have never thought to purchase a new lighter one because the one I have still works fine! I have a few things that I know the Lord wants me to get rid of! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I miss this post? And two more that I just now read? THAT's something I've been giving up (throwing away) since school started -- spending too much time reading blogs! Thus, I'm not as good at keeping up, especially on you faithful bloggers who post several times a week!

    I do continue to appreciate how you parallel every day life to insightful ways that we can please our Lord more. Have a blessed week ahead, and enjoy that new ironing board!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is interesting... six weeks to form a habbit... good or bad.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is such a blessing and encouragement to me! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.