" For God himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything." Acts 17:25

About Me

About Me

About Me

Welcome...I'm delighted that you chose to visit! I started this blog in March 2010 and I am so happy that I did. It has made me more aware of the many ways that God is blessing my life. I have made some special friends who bless,teach,encourage,and entertain me! My desire is to be an encouragement to you. I hope you will tarry for a while and that you will come back to visit often.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

saying good-bye

I'm not sure how to begin this post. It is going to be difficult to write. In my last post, I told you I was going to visit with my dad for 4 days while my step-mom went on a trip. Well, on the second day I was there, the 9th, he went into pulmonary distress. He continued to decline over the next 5 days and this past Thursday, July 15, he passed away. He was 83. We had his "home-going" service yesterday and I am now back home after being away for 10 days.
Needless to say, it was a very difficult and painful week, but I am so grateful that I was allowed the privilege of being with him as he gradually slipped from his earthly home to his heavenly home. He spent much of the time sleeping, but during the conscious hours, we were able to express our love for one another. He indicated on several occasions that he was ready to go and we assured him that it was okay. On Sunday, he told me and my husband, "I think I may have to leave you." I told him that was okay. J told him we would see him there soon. My dad's response..."Praise the Lord. Amen!" On Wednesday, he said "I believe everything is in order." I assured him that it was and that there was nothing left for him to do. He nodded. He left us in the early morning hours on Thursday.
It is a wonderful comfort to know that he is with his Heavenly Father, his Savior, and my mother in heaven. She died 28 years ago at the age of 53. One of my step-sisters said, "Don't you know your mom was glad to see him?" I thought, she probably said, "What took you so long?" :-)

7 comments :

  1. Very sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my Mom in March and it is difficult. I am glad that you were able to spend time with him as he came to the end of his journey. I know that your Mom had to be very happy to see him again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your family's loss. I've been thinking and praying for you all since I first heard of his passing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your dad - but you can definitely see how God was involved and allowed you to be there exactly when your dad needed you. How precious those days were...and will continue to be in the weeks ahead...that you were able to be beside your dad and to reassure him that "all was in order" - he was showing how much he loved all of you right to the end. So sweet.

    I pray that the Heavenly father will be a real source of comfort to you - and your step-mom - in these days and months ahead. And you will be encouraged as you remember the death of His saints is only a temporary separation. What a grand reunion we will have by and by:)

    God bless, friend. Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed you! I am so sorry to hear this news,and I am sure your heart must be hurting so much. Saying goodbye to a dad is so difficult. I know. In the coming days and months I know you will remember back to highlights of his life. You will be in my prayers as you start life without him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a tender, tear-jerking, and encouraging recounting of the conversations you had with him. When a fellow believer goes Home, there is such a combination of sadness and joy. Blessings to you as you miss him in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about your dad's passing. How wonderful that you were able to be with him at that time. I love how you said your mother probably said to him, "What took so long." Hope the next few days and weeks are filled with many more memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am just catching up on your blog and I am so sorry for the loss of your dad to you on this side of life. It is always a hard thing to have to say goodbye to those we love. It is a joy, though, to have the assurance you will see him again on the other side, and he and your mom will be there to welcome you when the time comes. What a blessing that you were able to be with him that final week.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is such a blessing and encouragement to me! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.