" For God himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything." Acts 17:25

About Me

About Me

About Me

Welcome...I'm delighted that you chose to visit! I started this blog in March 2010 and I am so happy that I did. It has made me more aware of the many ways that God is blessing my life. I have made some special friends who bless,teach,encourage,and entertain me! My desire is to be an encouragement to you. I hope you will tarry for a while and that you will come back to visit often.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Gran's library

When our kids were growing up, we did lots of reading. It started with board books, then Little Golden Books. After that was Richard Scarry and Beatrix Potter. Then we graduated to chapter books which included the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I loved reading to my children and that is one of the my favorite things to do with the grands.

Some of the old books survived...some still live at our house, others moved out with our children! To keep my "library" fresh and interesting, I am always on the lookout for something new or old. I like looking at antique and consignment shops, because they are inexpensive (mostly!) and I find some they don't print anymore. When I went to the mountains recently, I hit the jackpot...the most expensive was $3!



This may come as a shock, but I have never really
cared much for Dr. Seuss.(Oh my, I can hear
the gasps of disbelief and see the heads shaking! )
I know he is a beloved author, but I like a story.
All the repetition and silly words
just don't do it for me.
But I can read P.D. Eastman and Theo. LeSieg,
who are continuing to add to the Seuss library.
So, these two came home with me!



When our boys were little, Scuffy the Tugboat was
a favorite. This was one that their Dad read to them.
He was very animated and he would say "Scuffy"
with lots of feeling! They loved it!
Well,I'm not sure what happened to our copy,
but while looking through a stack of five books on a
shelf in one of the shops we went in, there was
"Scuffy" smiling up at me! I couldn't believe it!
Neither could the Hubby! When I got home, I told him
to close his eyes and hold out his hands.
When he opened his eyes, he said "Scuffy" in that
same voice he used with the boys.
I told him, "Now, you have a new crop
of grands to read it to!"


And that is just what he did when our grandson
came to spend the night last Sat!


2 comments :

  1. I love these old board books. Scuffy looks so familiar. Oh how I'd cringe when I'd have to read Dr. Seuss out loud to my 2nd grade class. I never chose to read them but I let the kids request once in a while. So like you, not a big fan of Dr. Seuss. Loved Beatrix Potter and Richard Scarry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep me too, I never was a big fan of Dr. Suess either, my husband would read those I liked to read Beatrix Potter out loud better. I keep sending my book home with the Mom's I don't want to give them away so I hope they keep taking them.
    I have been thinking about a book post too. I am glad you did one.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is such a blessing and encouragement to me! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.