" For God himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything." Acts 17:25

About Me

About Me

About Me

Welcome...I'm delighted that you chose to visit! I started this blog in March 2010 and I am so happy that I did. It has made me more aware of the many ways that God is blessing my life. I have made some special friends who bless,teach,encourage,and entertain me! My desire is to be an encouragement to you. I hope you will tarry for a while and that you will come back to visit often.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

appraising the value

Our older son is getting married in May. His fiance and her mom are planning to use milk glass to hold small bouquets of flowers at the reception. So, when I went "antiquing" last weekend, I kept my eyes open for it. She has a limit of $5 per piece. Keep in mind that we don't shop for expensive antiques, we are more in the market for "old stuff". So, I was able to get her these seven pieces priced from 2-5 dollars...and only one (the smallest one) was $5. But it was cute and unique, so I got it!


One thing I've learned from watching "Antiques Roadshow" is that an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. They can appraised it's value, but that doesn't mean much if there isn't a market for it. Now, we saw much more milk glass with much higher prices....up to $22. But, I wasn't willing to pay that much because I knew before I ever started shopping that five was my limit.

I believe there is a spiritual lesson here. Sometimes in life, situations arise that give us opportunities to decide what we are willing to pay.

....will I pay the price of losing a friend just to be right?
....will I pay the price of sacrificing time with my family just to work more hours to
make money to buy things I don't really need?
....will I pay the price of a clear conscious just to tell a lie because the truth might make me look bad? or to just to keep all the change when the cashier gives you too much?

If my heart is right with God, I will know the value of friends, family, a clear conscious, obedience... and I will have already decided (like my $5 limit for milk glass) what my response will be when I am faced with those kind of choices. In other words, there will be no choice!

4 comments :

  1. Good thoughts Miss Debbie. I like the spiritual lessons you included after your shopping...
    What a fun idea to use a mix of milk glass for the flowers at the reception...
    28 days till daughter's wedding....yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you can even find it here in California. It is so collective now. I didn't think you would be able to find pieces in that price range. I am glad you did.
    I think that is a way we should all look at life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the unique ideas brides have today! These will make beautiful bouquets!
    Your thoughts about what we are willing to pay for something are also inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful post. So often we don't take the time to count the cost. My prayer is that as I grow more and more like Him and I can stop counting. I HATE math. I want my actions to be led by the spirit, without hesitation. Yes, that's my goal.

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is such a blessing and encouragement to me! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.